1. Complete the PhD Checklist and Consult with your faculty advisor about fall courses and/or permissions.
  2. Forward the Program Director the correspondence with your advisor approving the selected courses.
  3. Email should include the following information: name, UID, and term courses.
  4. Copy your advisor on the email.
  5. Please note, the hold will not be lifted or permission provided without the above information.

Four steps must be taken to be advanced to Ph.D. Candidacy:

  1. Passing the Qualifying Examination
  2. Completion of the four core courses with a minimum of 2 grades of A- or higher and 2 grades of B- or higher.
  3. The next steps are to select an advisor (if the student has not already done so), begin thesis research, and prepare for the Ph.D. Proposal Defense.
  4. Complete the application for Admission to Candidacy

Deadlines to submit forms are determined by the Graduate School. Follow this link to the Graduate School website for more information. 

Please find the Nomination of Thesis or Dissertation form, found here.  

Committee criteria:

  • Ph.D. disertation committees require a minimum of five voting members of the Graduate Faculty, including three full members.
  • Doctoral Capstone Examining Committees (e.g., Ed.D, Au.D.) require a minimum of five voting members of Graduate Faculty, including three full members or associate members (two of these three must be full members).
  • The committee chair should be the candidate's advisor. A committee may have co-chairs. A Ph.D. Committee Chair must be a full member of the Graduate Faculty. In the case of a Doctoral Capstone Examining Committees, an associate member can serve as chair under certain conditions. Co-chair requests should be included in the Nomination of Committee form. If the committee has already been approved, please submit a new form.
  • Each committee must have a Dean's Representative as a voting or non-voting member. The Dean's Representative should have a research interest related to that of the student/candidate. The Dean's Rep must also be a tenured member of the Graduate Faculty and must have a tenure home different from the student's program as well as that of the chair and any co-chair.

If you include a committee member that is not of the Graduate Faculty, the form of Nomination of Graduate Faculty must be completed in consultation with your advisor and the department. This process can take at least six weeks for approval.

Students are to email the MSE Program Director two weeks in advance to announce the dissertation defense. All items listed below are required for the announcement:

Dissertation Title:
Defense Announcement for:

  1. Complete the Graduation Application. See follow this link and click on "Graduation Application & Diploma Status."
  2. Email the MSE Program Director one month in advance and inform her you will defend your thesis/dissertation and include the date of your defense. Copy your faculty advisor on the email.
  3. Bring the departmental thesis/dissertation defense form on the day of the defense. Return the completed form with signatures to the Program Director.
  4. Bring the Report of Examining Committee form on the day of the defense. The Registrar’s office would have emailed you the form (after submission of the Nomination of Thesis or Dissertation Committee form). Return the completed form with signatures to the Program Director.
  5. Announcement regarding your thesis/dissertation defense with the department should be emailed to the Program Director two weeks in advance. Email the Program Director with the following information: date, time, dissertation title, location, abstract, and committee members.
  6. Please adhere to all deadlines.

Yes, the Graduate School requires you to register for ENMA899. To do so, you must go through the Registrar’s Office, which will be processed at the start of classes. The exception is if you want to register for ENMA899 during the summer. For summer registration, please contact summer-sched@umd.edu.

The Registrar's office will register you for the course prior to the start of classes.

You must email the Professor teaching the course in question and ask for permission. If permission is granted, you can forward the email correspondence to nparker1@umd.edu.

You will need to speak with your advisor, inform the Business Office and Program Director. More information about the policy can be found here Complete the leave of absence form found here.  

You will need to speak with your advisor, inform the MSE Business Office and Program Director. Read more information about the policy found here and complete the Waiver of Continuous Registration. Please note: Doctoral Candidates are not eligible for this waiver.